Friday, June 24, 2011

Introduction/Disclaimer

Hello, welcome to my blog about medicine.  I’ve written it for all of the various laypeople out there who need solid information on how to be the best patient advocate they can be for their family members as well as for themselves. 
At no time do I want you (my reader) to assume that the medical information contained in these real patient encounters are meant for you.  Please take the time to discuss any information contained in these stories with your physician or medical provider.  Only with their help can you determine what the best route is for you to take in addressing your own personal health issues.
Please know that I have never used the patient’s real names or given away the locations of the clinics/hospitals I saw them in.  All of the stories are real patients I’ve seen, real scenarios that happened with real endings.   I’ve written about the most interesting, informative patient encounters I’ve been involved in over more than 20 years and counting of being involved in clinical medicine as a physician assistant.  Hopefully this will also allow you to understand what a physician assistant is and what we are capable of doing.  We are as close to being a physician as we can be, without being one, our typical medical training involves an undergraduate degree with 3 additional years of graduate training. 
I hope you enjoy reading the stories, learn from them and use the information contained herein to help you become a better patient advocate for yourself and/or your family members and friends. 
I wish you the best,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment